Thursday, March 17, 2011

The power of music



 The song, Sun Kil Moon - Alesund is the song in Sons of Anarchy, which is where I first heard of it, right as Jax is making the decision to get his kidnapped son back.  He is at a crossroads, though, because he does not want his son to suffer the same fate as he has, as a rogue soul destined to the chaotic life of the TV version of Hells' Angels.  Unfortunately, I don't have the actual scene to put on here to do it proper justice.  The scene is him watching the adoptive parents care for the child and basically give his son what he personally would not be able to, comfort and love.

As long as I can remember, music has been a major influence for me.  Not necessarily for my actions but for the triggering of certain feelings and memories; putting myself in a desired state of mind, whether it be happiness, excitement, sorrow, anger, or just to simply put my mind at ease, to free myself from interior or exterior stresses.  Music also allows me to think clearly, allows me to become completely satisfied, content.

I find it interesting that there are so many desired music types.  Similar emotions can be attained by two different people listening to two different types of music.  For me, it is the beauty, complexity and the synergy of all instruments coming together, or the utter chaos with layered harmonies, or the simplicity of a single guitar or piano playing something that seems to be so elementary, yet it just works.

In the years that I have been playing guitar, I have gracefully entered the realm of metal music.  Most will scoff and say, "how can you listen to this nonsense, all he is doing is screaming."  This is where my earlier point comes into play.  It seems to me that people without a certain extent of a music background will justify their statement by choosing a certain aspect of the music and picking it apart.   A singer does not make music.  A singer sings.  What makes music is feeling.  If you feel a country singer playing 4 chords on a guitar and referring to the tragic loss of his labrador retriever or '86 Ford F150 music, then it is.  If it triggers an emotional response for you, then it is music. 

For me, the reason I lean towards heavier music, is strictly based on an understanding of what each member represents.  A band that is the true embodiment of music, I feel, is Tool.  The reason I say this, is because if you take 1 member out, you lose the band, if you add another property, you lose the band.  It is complete harmony and unison.  There are very few artists or bands that can say that, and if they can, then they have achieved.

The singular issue I have with a majority of music that you hear on the radio, is that there is nothing to it.  Take Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Brittany Spears, Miley Cyrus, or any of the current platinum record selling pop / hip-hop artists that are out there today.  There is no depth.  No depth to the lyrics, no depth to the music.  All you are hearing is someone that is either very good looking, very sexy, very exotic, or very stupid, averagely singing lyrics that were possibly written by someone else to the electronic sounds and beats from a Mac computer using an upgraded and more complex version of Garage Band.  So while these people are making millions, selling millions and pumping out albums at a record pace, where did the music go?

An enormous selling point now is these "artists" remaking '80s and '90s classics with a sneaky catchphrase, a few people rapping obscenities, an auto-tuned chorus, and the help of an unintended bass line.  So not only do these people drown out what made these originals hits of their time, but these "artists" and "professionals" have taken out of music what music is supposed to be, originality. 

Like I said before, people have very subjective views on what music is, as long as it stimulates an emotional response.  I just wish that in addition to the emotional response, that the listener grasped more of an understanding of the details in the music, whether it be time signatures, harmonies, melodies, what the states of mind of the musicians were while writing the music, what the intended message of the song is, the hard work the musicians put into a potential masterpiece, things of that nature.

Even though I stated earlier that my particular choice of music leans to the heavier side, I have an extremely broad listening view that covers many genres.  Having said that, what people tend to overlook is that the roots of all metal are classical and blues music, whether it be particular scales, timing, or mood.

Next time you are listening to your favorite band/artist, take a step back and really examine the music, ask yourself what emotion it triggers and why it triggers that emotion.  Understand its complexity or simplicity and try to logically think about why and what you enjoy about that aspect of it.  I believe if you take this open and free minded approach towards music, you will broaden your horizons and find something you never thought existed.




No comments:

Post a Comment